Main Menu

Riddles

Started by Raven, February 27, 2016, 08:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

So, back in the old Lost Pathway, we asked each other and tried to solve riddles. Let's set some ground rules.

1. Only ask one riddle at a time.
2. You are allowed to find riddles on the internet to share.
3. You aren't allowed to look for the answer to the riddles on the internet. Honor code here.

I'll kick it off. Here's an old classic riddle I remember hearing when I was young and which I just stumbled on again:

"A man went on a trip on Friday, stayed for 2 days and returned on Friday.  How is that possible?"

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I think I've heard this before: he was riding a horse named Friday.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Okay oh solver of the riddle. What have ye to share?
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Afraid I don't have much. I like riddles, but I don't know if I can think of anything really challenging. The most I have is this:

A man was found shot in his car. There was no sign of entry nor of leaving the car. No trace of gunpowder could be found in the vehicle, nor was any window broken. How was the man shot?

Raven

Okay, one of *those* kind of riddles. Let me see.

Were any of the windows open? I know they weren't broken, but if one of them was open he could have easily been shot through an open window.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

All the windows had been rolled up (knew I was forgetting something).

Raven

Okay, so I'm guessing that "no sign of entry" implies that all doors were locked or had not been opened after he was shot at least, and that there are no signs of bullet holes passing through the car?

I think that the windows were made of bullet proof glass, and the car with the man inside was loaded into a very large cannon and shot a great distance, and the man died upon impact with the ground. Hence, the man was found shot in his car. . .

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Yes, all the doors were locked, and there were no bullet holes, so there were no signs on the doors, the trunk, or the roof.

But then the perpetrator didn't really need to worry about that. After all, when is a car open and closed at the same time? What car is it that can be sealed safely against common passerby, every door locked and every window rolled up, and yet you can still feel the wind and the sun when you drive it?

Raven

Dang those convertibles!

Here's my reply:

Turn us on our backs
And open up our stomachs
You will be the wisest of men
Though at start a lummox
What am I?

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I'm guessing...a book.

If you want a reply, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I may have to search for something.

Raven

It is totally acceptable to search for a riddle.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

How about this one?

A man goes out drinking every night, returning to his home in the wee hours of every morning. No matter how much he drinks, he never gets a hangover. This drink is very well known, but is rarely consumed, served warm and taken straight from its source. The man is a sucker for a free drink, especially since he can't live without it. What is his favorite drink?

Raven

I'm still considering this. . . So far I've come up short.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Really? Well, that's upsetting. Doesn't it just get pumping when that happens?

Raven

Are we discussing a newborn baby and is this milk?