Main Menu

Publishing with Kindle direct

Started by Raven, November 13, 2017, 06:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

So, I had published a book with Createspace a number of years ago now. Createspace is Amazon's self publishing branch that focuses on physical books (i.e., not digital, though that is easy to integrate). I liked their service and if I was going to print books again, they'd be my first choice.

But I've been looking lately at Amazon Kindle Direct publishing. I could post my writing on there and sell it directly to kindle users at no cost to myself. Of course, marketing is the hard part of any writing endeavor. My life is engage these days in other things, and I do not entirely feel like publishing with a traditional company is the way to go for me. With Kindle, you can edit, adapt, or change anything you publish at any time and you don't give away any rights to your work. You don't have to publish it with a company and if nothing ever comes of it, be restricted in what you can do with your own work (a fear of mine).

So, I've been going through some of the books and stories and pieces I've written in the past but never done anything with. I currently have three fantasy novels and some non-fiction pieces done that I'd be interested in publishing on Kindle, and I've got other projects that could find a home there. I have a career and I don't need to worry about earnings.

But I've also been thinking about what it would be like to follow the spirit of this forum and publish projects that originate here on Lostpathway to Kindle. In our story section, we've got stories going that could be polished up and if all agree, could be released on Kindle. I could include an agreement in registration that would allow for this, or we could just get permission from each member. We don't have to get permission to use content that has been contributed to a group project in order to publish it, but we do need to share all earnings unless it has been waived. At any rate, that is all secondary to thinking. This wouldn't really be about earnings, but about getting stories out there and having fun creating something together.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of such endeavors.
Regardless, I myself plan on doing edits on my work and trying to get some on Kindle.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.