Main Menu

What Are You Listening To Now?

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, December 01, 2017, 06:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Think of this as a spinoff of my "Favorite Music" topic and a companion piece to "What Are You Reading Now?"

See, we've talked quite a bit about what we've been reading currently, but speaking for myself, I'm always listening to music and trying out new things. Some even become new favorites, which I love finding? So what have you heard recently? Have you made any new discoveries? Just listening to what you're comfortable with?

Personally, as I write this, I'm currently working through the studio catalog of the Bee Gees and the final few albums of Van Morrison, then I'm planning on moving on to old favorite ABBA and starting out John Denver. There's always something playing on my iPod.

I'll discuss more of what I think about these artists on the "Favorite Music" topic.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Been listening to Liz Carroll (fiddler) and Stan Rogers (Canadian folk singer). Also listening to worship music, especially in the morning on my commutes.

I listen a lot to Pandora so there is a lot mixed in, some of which I skip, some of which I listen to. I have a lot of different channels there, mostly folk music and world music.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Gonna try to give this another go. Sure, others may not be listening to stuff as often as I am, but I just wanted to give people an Idea of my iPod contents. Also, it may lead to some interesting discussions about certain artists and their merits, though that's probably for a different topic.

Currently, I'm moving on to the latter half of John Mellencamp, finishing up King Crimson, beginning Belinda Carlisle, and probably halfway through Megadeth. Still have to decide where I'm going afterwards.

Again, these probably warrant some serious discussions, and I'd love to get to them. Let me know what you think.

Raven

I admit I don't really know anything about the musicians you've mentioned. I have not really been listening to any music lately, myself. When I do listen to music, it tends to be fiddle music or folk song.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

You know who I think you'd like, if you haven't heard of them already? The Chieftains. They're a traditional Irish band first formed in 1965 and are largely credited with popularizing traditional Irish music worldwide. As they've grown in acclaim, they've collaborated with many popular artists in the recording industry. I think they'll be more to your taste. Granted, I've heard only one album by them, and it was a collaboration with Van Morrison, but they really do sound more suited to you.

Here's the Wiki page for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chieftains

And here's a playlist of their most "essential" tracks for you to try out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mjhv9DiWNP7td-kIeZ2iWf6FxtVUExPac

Raven

I'm familiar with the chieftains. I think I actually have the album they did with various American folk musicians (including Nickel Creek).