Raven

• Remember the Imaginari
    • View Profile
    • The Lost Pathway
Cartography with GIMP: A First Attempt [Map]
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »
I have never made a map entirely on the computer before, that I can recall. Certainly, I've used tools like Inkarnate to create a map. But this is the first time I've used GIMP. I began serious tinkering last night and by tonight this is what I have. It shows how powerful GIMP can be for map-making. You can see a full sized version in the gallery.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:47:22 PM by Raven »

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Raven

• Remember the Imaginari
    • View Profile
    • The Lost Pathway
Re: Cartography with GIMP: A First Attempt [Map]
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:16:53 PM »
I'm continuing to develop this map. Here is the current version. Full size available for viewing in the gallery. I'm calling this the Land of Carathrail.

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Raven

• Remember the Imaginari
    • View Profile
    • The Lost Pathway
Re: Cartography with GIMP: A First Attempt [Map]
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 01:16:39 AM »
See here for final version: http://www.lostpathway.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=9#forum

It is my first attempt to draw a map entirely on the computer. I've tried and re-tried a number of times as can be seen in above thread.
I'm posting it here now because I've accepted this as my "final" version of this learning project, not because there aren't things that can be improved -- especially my mountains, I think -- but because I want to start taking what I've learned on this and begin working on maps more important to my writing projects. I'd still love any feedback/critique on this that could make my map work better. Overall, I am pleased with this result.