Main Menu

Introduce Yourself Here!

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, December 05, 2017, 02:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I feel that this topic may be somewhat necessary, especially for first-time users. I noticed it in the "Recommended Reading" thread, though I must insist that it isn't a bad thing. I just felt that it needed its own topic, that's all. Besides, with the exception of a couple of us, we might not know much about each other otherwise. Let's make this the starting point. Just tell us who you are! Why are you here? What led you to this place? What do you hope to get out of it?

Okay, those couple who were here in the beginning know this, but for those who weren't, my real name is Justin Summerville. I'm a Michigan native - been one for all my life; except for a couple excursions into Canada and a brief "semi-vacation" into Ohio, I've never left the state, nor do I have any real plans on doing so in the future. I've known Raven for about as long as I can remember, being an old family friend. I was born in 1987, having lived for about 16-17 years in a small town called Marine City before moving to a comparatively larger, more metropolitan city called Port Huron. I was homeschooled for about the first eight grades, then completed 9-12 at New Life Christian Academy in Kimball, an experience that may have suited my purposes on paper but, in my opinion, could have been much better. I then immediately went on to community college - St. Clair County Community College, or SC4, to be exact - which might not have been the best option. I gained an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts, then studied for a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice, but I left when it became apparent to myself that it just didn't interest me. I've been living at home ever since.

I have Asperger's Syndrome - at least that's what it was formally called, and I still use it; nowadays, it seems to be classified as autism spectrum disorder. It basically means that, among other things, I have difficulty in social situations, picking up on body language and other subtle non-verbal mannerisms. I tend to be aloof and uninterested, easy to misunderstand others, and unwilling to converse in public. As a side effect, I also suffer from a non-debilitating but bothersome case of OCD. Certain sounds (like the smacking of lips) bother me to no end; on my own end, I tend to jump when my thoughts get going.

My interests are books, film, music, pop culture, animation, video games, comic books, and the Internet. Partly as a result of having Asperger's Syndrome, I don't really have a particular favorite out of anything - I like to keep a big net cast. I also like history, sociology, theology, and other soft sciences.

I'm a Christian, though technically I could be classified as either "non-committed" or "non-practicing" due to certain events that have played out in my life; don't get me wrong - I do believe, it's just that my family has been a bit discouraged in church-going. Of course, I'm totally open to taking that up again.

I love to read fantasy most of all, probably followed by horror and adventure, with some science fiction and mystery/thriller thrown in for good measure. I also read non-genre, of course, trying to keep up with the classics. I love collecting things, as evidenced by my book collection - I used to collect action figures (I'm still sort of interested in it), and now I put most of my energy in books. My pet peeves are books that are no longer in physical print (I don't read digital), tears and creases (particularly along the spine), and mass market vs. trade (I prefer my books to be 7.8 inches and above in height and 5 inches and above in width). Yes, I'm picky, and it can be quite costly, but it provokes me to make wiser decisions about my life.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Now I'd like to be clear: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO INTO THE DETAIL THAT I JUST DID. If there's anything that you don't want to share out loud, don't feel pressured into doing so. I just tried to get a conversation going. Ultimately, I see this as an experiment, and if it doesn't pay off, then it's all right (I hope).

Feel free to post however you want. Open up and have fun!
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Some say that I hatched from an egg in the Timberlost forest, where it climbs up the slopes of the mountains. They tend to believe that my human form is in fact my secondary appearance. Other's believe that I was put under an enchantment, causing me to split in two, my heart roving as a raven and my body walking as a man. Others believe I was called raven merely because of the long black hair that I once wore.

All that aside, I am not one for revealing a terrible amount of specifics about my existence outside of the Lost Pathway. Suffice to say, I am the one who pulls the strings of this website behind the scenes, who first watched over the Lost Pathway many years ago in the first days of this community.

If anyone is having problems related to the function of the forum, needs help with moderation or conflict, or is having any kind of Lost Pathway related technical issues, I am the person to contact.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Seravian

Greetings!

You may call me 'Seravian', I am a wanderer of sorts, always looking for new adventure, and I thought this place looked cozy.

I have been out of writing for some time, and figured a small community like this would be the best way to get back into things without feeling too overwhelmed by the duties of keeping up. I work 5 days a week, on a swing shift, so my availability varies.

I like video games, music, tea, walking in the park, messing around on Discord, and, above all, writing. I consider myself an okay writer, always looking for improvement.

Raven

Be very welcome Seravian!

Your interests align well with us here.
You'll find in the community storytelling section a number of writing projects that are open and welcoming participation, or you can start your own. We make no real demands here, but we welcome people to enjoy themselves by writing in a friendly environment. Speaking for myself, I keep very busy and writing here is a low pressure creative outlet. Please make yourself at home!
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

A hearty welcome from me, too!

I may not do much walking (something I should correct), and I don't have any experience with Discord, but I'm quite familiar with all the rest. Any particular video games or music that stand out to you? Any favorites, I mean? What type of writing do you do? What do you like to read, and do you have any favorites there? What kind of tea do you favor, or is it simply a fondness for all tea in general?
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Seravian

Thank you :)

I'm definitely a rock 'n roll kind of person. I have a guitar, tried to get into playing, but I'm not very good at it.

I read a lot of things, from fantasy to thriller. I want to get back into reading more, but sadly my bookshelf is full. It's hard to choose which books are my favorites. Same goes for writing, I will write a bit of everything, though I do tend to avoid a lot of romance. If I had to pick a favorite genre, it's definitely fantasy.

As for video games, I play a little of everything. Dark Souls, Silent Hill, Shadow Hearts, Spyro,  Xenosaga... the list goes on. I find that there's inspiration in just about everything.

Favorite tea? Hmm... Earl Grey. I enjoy a variety of flavors. I really don't like coffee (though I do love the smell of it brewing) so I drink tea instead. The only teas I don't really like are green teas, or decaf.

Raven

While I like the flavor of coffee, I prefer tea because it has a much milder dose of caffeine. My favorite tea is Chai tea, although I also like Earl Grey. I just had a cup of tea some minutes ago, actually. Nice and relaxing.

Any favorite rock bands?

Peregrine

Hi, everyone, I'm Peregrine, but usually, people shorten it to Pip. I do not respond to being called Perry. You may call me Peregrine, Pip, Pippin, or even "hey you, that's right, you! You prick..." I'm named for the bird. I'm very pleased to have been directed to Lost Pathway from a "looking for" thread I posted on RPG-D. I will have been RPing for 11 years at the end of this month and I've been writing for a lot longer. Lately, I've been feeling rather "out of it" and I've been wanting to fall back in love with RP.

I've read a lot for college and work, but I want to get back into the sake of reading for pleasure and self-improvement. I love fantasy and I've always wanted to get into steampunk. I also love classic literature and non-fiction.

In addition to RPing, I love doing graphics and I've been working to improve my skills, as of late (I use GIMP) and I'm learning how to code (HTML/CSS).

It's lovely to meet you all!

Raven

Be most welcome, Peregrine!

I know what it's like to get overwhelmed by college and work reading. It took me some significant time to enjoy reading again just for reading's sake.
I also use GIMP. Lately, I've been working on fantasy map-making with GIMP and I've been learning a lot. I'm slowly working on a large piece that I hope to post up on the forum here when I'm done with it. I dabble in code also, but I admit to being a tinkerer, not a from-scratch creator of code.

Look forward to writing with you.

Kira

hello. I'm kira. I found lost pathway by googling fantasy pbp. I like writing and rping and reading. I am in high school. I am boring. there is nothing else to say about me.

Raven

Hello Kira!
Welcome down the Lost Pathway. Feel free to jump in on any stories, RPs, or threads you like. We're glad to welcome all into our little community.

A Wanderer

Greetings I'm A Wanderer, though I'm certainly not lost. I live in the beautiful lake lands of Michigan, where the summer is warm and the winter cruel. I enjoy fantasy,history,sci-fi, and folk fictions. I'm twenty years old, and currently attending college in pursuit of a history degree. I'm looking forward to exploring this site that was recommended by a wise man and dream interpreter. I bid you all a fond good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and good night.

Sincerely,

A Wanderer~

Raven

Welcome, Wanderer.  Make yourself at home. You should find those interests well shared here. We've been compiling for a while, so there should be plenty to weed through or join in on. If you like to twine a tale, you can always join us in that.

A Wanderer

Wonderful, thank you for the warm welcome.

Van

I am ancient of days and gray of beard, my back is bent and my voice has a rasp. However, my mind is a portal to many worlds and wonders, so I got that going for me.

Writing had been easy for me, but lately has become difficult.  Putting words and thoughts together just doesn't flow like it used to, but I hope to find my way back to the pen and page soon.
And all of a sudden, there I was.