Main Menu

Star Wars the Last Jedi (Spoiler Alert!) and Bright

Started by Raven, December 27, 2017, 01:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Okay folks,

This is a big Christmas season for Sci-fi and fantasy films. Of course, we have Star Wars the Last Jedi and we also have the Netflix film Bright with Will Smith. I saw the Star Wars film yesterday at an afternoon matinee but I don't have Netflix so I haven't been able to watch Bright yet, but if anyone else has I'd be interestsed to hear. I may watch it soon.

As for Star Wars, I will admit I really liked Rogue One and I enjoyed Force Awakens though not as much.

However, I'm giving the Last Jedi a 4 or 5 out of 10. It kept jolting me out of it by ridiculous events and self defeating plot points. I think the parts with Luke were pretty good and with Rey and Kylo Ren. However, the rest of the film felt pretty B filmy to me, with too much crammed in and a narrative that avoided the hard decisions and had little by way of character development.

What did others think?
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

On the one hand, I thought it was really, really good, and I'd rate it 8 or 9 by comparison. Character development served the needs of the story, in my opinion, though they might have done better, so I can't totally disagree with your assessment. Any criticisms I had have probably been voiced publicly by other, more professional critics (though not necessarily in pleasant tones), and I can't think of any in particular right now that I would call a serious failing (I have some sympathy with the "Mary Sue" allegations, though that might also be a noticeable flaw in the original trilogy).

On the other hand, it's at this point that I'm not sure I really care about Star Wars anymore. It's just not MY Star Wars anymore. I've had my day with it, and this belongs to a new generation, so I don't find myself with a lot of room to complain, if at all. I'll continue to watch it, probably, but I'm not anticipating it excitedly or becoming more involved in it. It's just another movie now. Granted, some of that is my own deliberate choice for reasons of personal health of body and mind, and I won't get in the way of others enjoying it.

I haven't seen Bright yet, and it's on my list, but I don't really have much hope for it, as the whisper through the grapevine seems to be that it's a flop, which is a shame, because the dynamic is something that fantasy of that sort needs. Well, I hope it inspires someone.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.