Main Menu

Fantasy Authors

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, March 02, 2016, 08:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Okay, well, let's get a blog going for you. I'll look into the best way to get it integrated into Lost Pathway. . .
There are a few "unoccupied houses" in the village. Any idea what you'd like the blog to be called? The Scriptorium, the Library, Justin's House, etc?
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

How about the Dregnot Hall of Records?

The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Maybe the Archives of Dregmot? I'd like to fit it into the Lost Pathway village theme if possible. We could create a backstory of sorts for it to explain how the archives wound up in the village. Maybe I could label one of the houses "the archive" or Coir's House or Coir's Trove.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

That was my intention. I'd like it that way. it's your website, so it's got to be what you'd like it to be. For me, as long as it functions, I'm good.

Raven

Well, I'll be working on it over a period of time. Expecting the baby to be born soon so I may have a lapse of web designing, but I'm collecting ideas to gear up for the next phase of Lost Pathway development.

In the mean time, the forum is your playground as far as what you want to do! I'm still trying to recruit new members.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

To all who read this, now that I have a separate blog set up for myself by the Powers That Be (to whom I am considerable thankful), I'm going to continue posting authors of note over there, as well as reposting the entries I've already made for completion's sake. However, this topic still could have some use, so feel free to discuss your opinions on your favorite fantasy authors here.

Remember to check out the Windmill for my continuing recommendations.

Raven

Yeah, still a good thread to discuss on. And you may want to link this thread, from the main forum url, http://www.lostpathwa.com/tavern/ onto your blog post so people can come here to discuss, too.

I'm looking for a new fantasy book to read, I think. I've read a bit out of George MacDonald's "The Grey Wolf And Other Stories" collection, recently. It's been a long time since I've read it so it's kind of new to me again.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

That can be done. How'd you like me to do it? Where could put a link for ease of access?

Raven

You could just include a link at the bottom of the posts you make about fantasy authors, I suppose. Do you know how to copy a link? There is a button when writing the posts that you can use to link. I can discuss it with you further via phone or skype if necessary. Need to tour you through the blog stuff, anyway, perhaps.

Raven

Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi, author of the Spiderwick Chronicles and accompanying books. I picked up one of the books at the library today (after seeing the movie some time back) and I have to say it's a fun little world.

Have you included Roald Dahl yet? Maybe you have in the blog posts. Saw the BFG recently (what an enjoyable film!) and now intend to read the book.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

On the last big forum post, I mentioned that I would be tackling children's authors next. When I'm all caught up on the blog, you can bet that Dahl will get an entry.

Never read Spiderwick, but I'll keep it in mind.

Raven

So, these are as much field guides as stories, or even more field-guide than story, but I like them. They're kind of like bird-books for gnomes or culture studies for gnomes with beautiful illustrations and some stories. That said, there is some content I consider inappropriate -- illustrated nudity and discussions of wife-sharing, etc. I found this stuff disappointing for what seemed to me an otherwise tasteful book. Also, I've read one scathing review calling the books sexist because of their portrayals of gender. They look like kids books but I would remove pages before giving them to a kid (or keeping for myself).

Rien Poortvliet (illustrator, I believe) and Wil Huygen for their books Gnomes and Secrets of the Gnomes.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I didn't know the Gnomes books were in English. I know they made a cartoon of it back in the day (The World of David the Gnome), but that's all I know about them.

Raven

Stephen R. Lawhead.

Writer of the Pendragon Cycle, among other tales. I enjoyed reading him in my teen years but have never revisited his work. One of his series, The Dragon King Trilogy, is what introduced me to him and perhaps it still has the fondest place in my memory.

Bear

Let's not forget Brandon Sanderson, most famous for completing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, but a prolific writer in his own right. I've only read Mistborn, but he's written loads besides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy, was he?