Main Menu

December 2017 Recommended Reading/Viewing

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, January 07, 2018, 11:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Due to a discussion on the "Recommended Reading and Viewing" thread, I feel that it may be more beneficial to have a separate topic for each month, so the "mother topic" doesn't get too clogged and buried. So even though it's technically last month's entry, let's consider this the inaugural entry.

NOTE: After some consideration, with the exception of this entry, I'm only going to recommend books that I've already read or am currently in the process of reading, which, while limiting the pool, will encourage a more sincere approach to the situation. Also, I am going to make a concerted effort not to recommend any books that are part of a series, as listing the whole series would be too much to handle and jumping around books over the spaces of months would be too taxing.

Reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (2004) by Susanna Clarke

A slight warning: this is a 1,000+ page tome, so I wouldn't call it light reading. For those brave enough, this modern classic follows two magicians in an alternate history England in which magic once ruled the land as they try to probe the ancient mystical secrets and end up crossing with the ambiguously malevolent world of Faerie. A highly praised first novel, it's a good sign if this is the direction of modern fantasy.

Mass Market: https://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Strange-Mr-Norrell-Novel/dp/0765356155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512152770&sr=8-1&keywords=jonathan+strange+%26+mr.+norrell+by+susanna+clarke
Trade: https://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Strange-Norrell-Susanna-Clarke/dp/1620409909/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1512152770&sr=8-1
Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Strange-Norrell-Susanna-Clarke-ebook/dp/B003RRXXMA/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1512152770&sr=8-1

Viewing: The Addams Family (Barry Sonnenfeld, 1991) and Addams Family Values (Barry Sonnenfeld, 1993)

I freaking love these movies. I was just going to recommend the first, but the more I think about it, I can't talk about one without the other. Based on both the classic Charles Addams cartoons from The New Yorker and the 1960s television series, these delightfully macabre dark comedies follow an eccentrically "horrific" family of unspecified supernatural abilities. The greatest strengths come from the excellent cast and the hilariously normalized black humor/outrageously sharp dialogue, often contrasted with a "normal" world that can be quite terrifying and oppressive in its own right. Definitely a must-watch.

https://www.amazon.com/Addams-Family-Values-Movie-Collection/dp/B01MSYVLU7/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1512152575&sr=8-6&keywords=the+addams+family
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

I'm approaching halfway through Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I'm enjoying it very much. It is a unique work, unlike other fantasy I have read, full of wry humor (appropriate to the British) and a very excellent look at faeries (in the old, fell, "fey" sense).
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Raven

Okay, so I just finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. This is truly a great work of imaginative fiction. I must say, I'm sad it isn't a series. I'd read a couple more thousand pages exploring that fictional world (maybe not immediately).
The ending was different than I envisioned, certainly. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give spoilers. At any rate, highly recommended, and I'm glad you introduced me to it, Coir!
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

You're very welcome!

Well, I've heard that it might just get a sequel of sorts. Back in 2004, she was reported to be working on a new novel set a few years later focusing on characters set down on the social ladder; comments in 2006-07, however, indicated that work had been slowed due to ill health. I can't find any more recent news on it, but there's still the chance that she might go through with it. Only time will tell.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Ah! I better not get to hoping about it. Yet another author who may not ever continue their work.