Main Menu

Fantasy Movies

Started by Raven, April 04, 2016, 03:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

Okay, so we're talking about fantasy authors, so we need a fantasy movies thread because we live in the media age. Feel free to contribute by posting a film, a short description, and what you think of it.

The 10th Kingdom:
This is a great mini-series rolled into a movie adventure, almost 7 hours, of a New Yorker getting sucked into the land of fairy tales after it's prime. I'll admit to liking this one a lot. Some of the acting is cheesy, but it fits the story in a good way. Lots of good one-liners. I quote 10th Kingdom a fair amount.

The Princess Bride:
Perhaps the most classic fantasy film from my childhood, re-watched an untold number of times. The classic love story of Wesley and Buttercup, the fencing of Inigo Montoya, the whole thing is beautifully done. And it is infinitely quotable.

Lady Hawk:
An older fantasy flick about a man and woman who are cursed to be always apart and always together. It is an interesting film, if dated at times by its soundtrack.

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I love the Ladyhawke soundtrack, as well as the movie (almost anything by Richard Donner is good), but yes, the Alan Parsons Project is a strange choice for a medieval background.

Legend (Ridley Scott, 1985):
A young forest boy has to save both a princess and the last living unicorn to stop the Devil from plunging the world into eternal night. Evokes a more ancient, darker telling of a fairy tale. Wonderful film with incredible atmosphere and tremendous set and makeup design; its New Age electronic score is surprisingly complementary to the mood of the film. It's not perfect - there are some plot holes and undefined elements - but it remains one of my favorites and a fine representation of Scott's particular style which also appears in Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. (NOTE: The major memories I have just recounted, including the soundtrack by German electronica group Tangerine Dream, come from the commonly released American print. There is also, however, a Director's Cut in circulation which adds about 24 excised minutes to the original film and utilizes the original, more traditional score by legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith.)
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Yeah, Legend is a classic.

Here's a relatively recent one.

Stardust (2007). This is a coming of age film about a young man who crossed over a wall into a magical world and ends up rescuing a star that fell from the heavens. In the process, he has a number of adventures and meets some fun characters. Overall, I think this is a very nice fantasy flick and I've seen it a couple times and enjoyed it both. It is not a hack and slash sort of fantasy movie, which is a plus. There are certain tropes that are fairly common -- having to devour beauty to retain it -- but they work and are a recipe for a pretty nice film.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Haven't seen Stardust yet, but I believe I can attest its "goodness" to the fact that it's based off of a book by Neil Gaiman, a rather popular and well regarded author of comic books (The Sandman) and, of course, fantasy novels for both kids and adults (Coraline, American Gods, The Graveyard Book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, etc.).

Willow (Ron Howard, 1988):
Once again, the fate of the world rests in the hands of the little people - in question, a humble farmer/practicing sorcerer named Willow Ufgood who happens upon an infant human destined to unseat the cruel occultic queen in power. Joining him are an egotistical yet talented swordsman, a pair of mischievous Brownies, an elderly sorceress cursed to animal form, and eventually the queen's own warrior-daughter. This tale, sprung from the mind of George Lucas, is a charming one, though it's definitely no Star Wars, in spite of Lucas's intentions. There are definitely stronger films out there, but the cast is well selected in my opinion (enough to put the whole project above average) and the effects for the time are pretty good. It's a true cult classic, and sometimes that's better.

Raven

Okay, so far we've been discussing classics with a newer big budget film thrown in (Stardust). I'm gonna take the next entry way down the B or even C film trail, but if you get a cold or the flu, this is a must see movie for the sheer enjoyable badness and B fantasy flick joy of it. It reminds me of when Jhay (of the Old Lost Pathway) and I used to hunt down B fantasy flicks and watch them.

The movie is:

Dragonfyre (2013): It has surprisingly little to do with dragons, but is mostly about a guy with guns battling hordes of Lord of the Rings extras who are invading our planet through a magic gateway. Throw in some cliché stuff and B film actors and you've got a good all around sick day watch.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333508/

Coír Draoi Ceítien

One good, one bad.

La Belle et la Bête (Jean Cocteau, 1946):
You know the tale: a merchant, lost in the woods, is accosted by an aristocratic beast and forced to exchange his daughter for his life. Now a guest at the Beast's castle, the "captive" grows increasingly fond of him, though a family illness and her scheming sisters threaten to cause them tragedy. This French film, which the Disney version appears to draw inspiration from, as well as the original Beaumont story, is a surreal masterpiece. Everything is dreamlike and stylized, as well as well-acted (though you'll need subtitles). It's a true fairy tale in every sense of the world.

Dungeons & Dragons (Courtney Solomon, 2000):
Released one year before The Lord of the Rings - by the same company, no less (New Line Cinema) - the film follows a pair of thieves, a librarian mage, a dwarf (isn't it always?) and an elf soldier (always...) as they have to keep a rod capable of controlling red dragons out of the hands of the mage who eyes the empire. Basically, it's a film that goes so wrong that it goes right. Whether overacted (see Jeremy Irons as the lead villain eviscerate the scenery), underacted (the empress is......whatever) or just done for no reason at all, it's a treat to care so little for what they want to you care most about. Recommended for a laugh.

Raven

Dragon Movies, good and bad.

Dragon  Heart (1996):
      Dragon Heart is a classic that I don't really hear lauded that often, to be honest. Sean Connery voicing the dragon is perhaps the best part. David Thewlis as a younger man than his Harry Potter Prof. Lupin appearances plays a suitably dislikable movie bad guy. It is the funnest dragon romp that I know of, with plenty of classic fantasy film humor.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116136/

Age of Dragons (2011):
    I saw at least a chunk of this on tv a long time ago, so I think it may have had a lot of the sexual stuff cut out, but this retelling of Herman Mellville's Moby Dick, making Moby Dick a white dragon and the Ahab character played by Danny Glover, ranks in the bad category. Overall, the reviews are pretty terrible, which is a shame because the idea seems solid enough to potentially make a good film.
    One thing it has going for it, which is a northern wintery setting, which is one of my favorite types of fantasy settings.

Raven

The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008).
This was a fun fantasy film. It's just the sort of low fantasy film that I like -- children exploring an old estate with fantastical secrets, magical creatures, woodland adventures. I honestly wish there were more to this series (both in terms of books and movies, even though I've just started the books). As fantasy series go, it is rather brief, and there is only one movie to my knowledge.

And for a new release:

The BFG (2016).
I have to say, I smiled and laughed through this film. It made me feel like a kid in some ways. This was truly an enjoyable fantastical excursion. Favorite moments include the London scenes, the dream-related scenes,and scenes in the BFG's home and workshop. This is a film I plan to watch again, and I also plan to read the book as a result of how much I liked the movie. The film is written as a children's fantasy, but it is surprisingly deep and emotionally sensitive at times, with a lot of things going unspoken or implied. There was plenty of outright wonder and plenty of subtleties. This was some grade A storytelling.

Raven

A postmodern classic:

Trollhunter (2010) is a Norwegian film about a documentary team that follows a government hunter and explores a world that the Norwegian government wants to hide. This is a fantastic film in the Norwegian language (subtitles available) that whimsically walks the line between comedy, suspense thriller, and fantasy film. I expect this to become a classic among lovers of odd-ball fantasy films.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Hope it's alright that I bump up an old topic, if only because it's still rather good and I got a bit more to say.

Dragonslayer (Matthew Robbins, 1981)

A co-production of Paramount and Walt Disney(!), this dark film (this is pre-PG-13, that special kind of 80's dark) is a fine piece of work from the director of the later lighthearted sci-fi flick Batteries Not Included. The plot is relatively simple - an apprentice wizard is called up to stop a terrible dragon that's terrorizing a kingdom, which sacrifices maidens through a lottery to satiate the beast. The production design of this movie is fantastic, and as wonderful as Dragonheart is, the film arguably has THE BEST onscreen dragon to ever appear in any film, a "fact" attested to by filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and author George R. R. Martin; this is probably due to it being superb practical effects courtesy of Industrial Light and Magic. I really recommend it. Honestly, if you don't like any of the characters, just watch it for the dragon.

Raven

I remember Dragonslayer from years and years ago. I'd have to rewatch it to see if it is any good to me, now.

Have we mentioned Pan's Labyrinth?
Very well made film. Brutal. Thought it was very good but I don't think I could bring myself to watch it again.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Anything by Guillermo del Toro is good. He's one of the best directors working today. For that matter, here's three more films of his that could interest you.

Cronos (1993)

Del Toro's first feature film, this outstanding modern take on the vampire tale follows an elderly antique dealer who discovers an alchemical device which restores his youthful vitality at the expense of a taste for blood; meanwhile, an unscrupulous businessman and his cruel nephew are also searching for the device. I found this to be a mesmerizing piece, particularly as the protagonist is an old man and a good chunk of the drama rests on his relationship with his granddaughter.

Hellboy (2004) and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)

Bases on the phenomenally stylized comic book by Mike Mignola, these two films form what was to be a trilogy that was sadly shelved; the main draw of them is the incredible style and makeup work. The first film follows the title character - a demon summoned by the Nazis but raised by the Allies - as he uncovers a plot by the infamous Rasputin to summon abominable gods and usher in the end of the world. The second film deals with the ancient realm of Faerie - in particular, a bitter elven prince - trying to reclaim the modern world from humanity. I highly recommend both films, though the second one may be of more interest to fantasy fans.

Raven

I may have to check out Cronos, but I admit that the Hellboy movies were a miss for me. Some friends back in college wanted me to watch them, and I think I did watch part or all of one. I was not a fan of the style of the films visually or the particular kind of sci-fi/fantasy that they represent. That's just me, though.

Okay, for my entry, another 1980s classic.
Time Bandits (1981). This is a really interesting older fantasy movie that's well worth the watch, I'd say. It's a quirky "low fantasy" film, involving some dwarfs and a boy from the "real world." It's got a lot of that classic 80's fantasy vibe.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Oh well. I thought you would have liked the elves and the Troll Market in the second one.

As for your choice.....ah, the first of Terry Gilliam's loose "Trilogy of Imagination", that one being viewed through the lens of childhood. I love that film. the highlight for me being David Warner as Evil - maliciously screwy, as any villain in a Gilliam movie should be. I'll add the other "entries" in the "trilogy", plus a foreign film.

Brazil (1985)

A government employee with a menial job gets stuck with the task of correcting an error by bureaucratic machines and ends up getting pulled into a plot regarding a suspected terrorist. It's more science fiction than fantasy, but it's still quite fantastic, being an extremely well-made and slapsticky parody of Orwell's 1984 while retaining the paranoia, materialism, and sense of oppressive government intrusion into everyday life.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)

As an unnamed European city is under attack by the Ottoman Empire, the legendary Baron Munchausen, master of self-embellished tall tales, finds himself paired with a young girl from a theatre troupe and forced by circumstances to defend the populace. But first he must round up his old crew of fantastic individuals - the world's fastest runner, a sharpshooter with incredible eyesight, a dwarf with superhuman hearing and lung capacity, and a man of immense physical strength - which will take him all the way from the moon and its king of split minds, to the center of the earth and the halls of Vulcan and Venus themselves, to the stomach of a sea monster, all the way back to the hordes of the Turkish army. As my description should indicate, this is a fantastically imaginative movie; it had a troubled production design, but the finished project is some of the funniest, liveliest, sweet-natured bull put to film. I'd argue that it's my favorite of the "Trilogy."

The City of Lost Children (1995)

This surrealistic French film follows a scientist's evil creation who, unable to dream, must abduct children to power his dream machine; the older brother of one of the kidnapped children, accompanied by a wily orphan girl, must seek out the monster's lair after contending with both a gang of orphans and the creature's sinister mechanisms. It's a dreamlike steampunk film with a sense of humor about it that makes for a rather modern fairy tale.

Philosoraptor

Spirited Away, Hayao Miyazaki, 2006. A young girl traveling with her parents watches them fall under a spell and enters a magical bathhouse as a worker to try and free them. Enchantment, love, and beauty abound.
Vincit qui se vincit.

Raven

I saw Spirited Away once. It's not my favorite Miyazaki (which might go to Howl's Moving Castle, although it's been a long time since I've seen it), but it was interesting to watch if I remember correctly.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Never saw Spirited Away - I want to, of course. I have seen Howl's Moving Castle (I want to read the book as well - Diana Wynne Jones). The other Miyazaki films I've seen are Ponyo (good film, though probably meant more for children), Lupin III: The Castle of Cogliostro (great debut), and Princess Mononoke (which I am particularly fond of).

Raven

Is Miyazaki considered anime?
I really don't know much about the anime genre, and if Miyazaki is not included, then I don't know if I've ever really watched any -- maybe a tiny bit in college, but my memory is hazy.
What things would you say comprise the anime genre?

Mawnster

Wizards (1977)

One of those 70s-animation classics.  A great answer to all of the traditional narrative animation that was made during the era.  Great fantasy adventure with classic tropes presented in an interesting way.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Wizards is a flawed but highly enjoyable film, being directed by infamous "underground" animation pioneer Ralph Bakshi, best known on this site for the ambitious but sadly uncompleted rotoscoped adaptation of The Lord of the Rings. I second that recommendation, but I must warn you: though it's roughly a family picture, some of Bakshi's adult-oriented leanings (including some sexual overtones) poke through.

As for me:

Watership Down (Martin Rosen, 1978)

Based on the classic animal fantasy by Richard Adams, this quite faithful adaptation is a wonderful animated classic in its own right; highly acclaimed upon its release, it's dark (even a touch gruesome) yet ultimately optimistic. Highly recommended.

The Flight of Dragons (Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Rankin Bass, 1982)

A good wizard summons a man of science from the 20th century to challenge his evil counterpart in the realm of magic, as the world inevitably turns to science and logic; things become complicated when the newcomers is accidentally magically fused into the body of a dragon. It's one of Rankin/Bass's best, perhaps most memorable for trying to scientifically explain magic and magical creatures.

Highlander (Russell Mulcahy, 1986)

in the year 1536, a Scottish Highlander discovers that he is of a race of immortals who must fight each other for a mysterious ultimate "Prize"; 449 years later, he must confront the strongest member of his race - a vicious psychopath called the Kurgan - on the streets of New York City. While it wouldn't be perfected until the 1992 TV series (and let's leave it at that...), this is still one of the quintessential cult films, being an interesting story with an intriguing premise, plus a really solid cast and a memorable soundtrack by Queen.

Raven

Highlander is a classic movie. . . But the series was far more enjoyable. I should add it to the series thread, because it is a definite influence on my imagination. The concept of living over a long span of history, told through flashbacks. It was a great show concept and had some really nice moments. The character of Methos in the show was my favorite.

By the way, Coir, I rewatched most of Hell Boy recently. I haven't finished it but I found it more enjoyable the second time around (or else I originally saw the second one?). Still not my favorite genre, but it had some merits.

As for Fantasy films, we should also mention some of the big ones, even though they're easy pickings.

Labyrinth: A really fun Henson film with a lot of whimsy and unfortunately way too much of David Bowie in tight pants.

The Princess Bride: This is such a huge classic it almost needs no description. The book is also really enjoyable. I grew watching this film again and again. It is one of the most quotable of all fantasy films.

We'll go ahead and mention the modern Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit which started out strong but got progressively worse, in my opinion, bottoming out with the Hobbit.
They took Lord of the Rings to a new audience, but at the same time . . .

I thought the new Narnia films were somewhat rubbish, but the BBC versions from '88 - '90 were truly enjoyable as a child. I have especially fond memories of that version of The Silver Chair, but all of them were good.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I found the BBC Narnia to be all right for their time and pretty faithful to the book, but I'm not sure they hold up as well. I get that the modern films can be flawed, but I'm more partial to seeing a CGI talking animal and knowing that it's "there" rather than people in costumes, which kind of dates it. But it's a good introduction to Narnia.

Speaking of Jim Henson....

The Dark Crystal (Jim Henson and Frank Oz, 1982)

A small elf-like creature finds himself entrusted with returning the shard of a mystic crystal to its parent body, thus reuniting two species of split personalities. This is one of the most impressive films I've ever seen, being told entirely with puppets and animatronics. The philosophy may be questionable, but the design and cinematography are perfect. On a personal note, this is also one of the most frightening films for a young child to see.

The Secret of NIMH (Don Bluth, 1982)

When her youngest son takes ill of pneumonia and with the plow on the horizon, a timid mother mouse seeks the help of a band of rats gifted with human intelligence by scientific experimentation; together, they must move her house to a more protective area while keeping their existence secret from humans. Based on the book by Robert C. O'Brien, this is the film that launched Don Bluth's career as a feature animator, and at a time when Disney had fallen slack, it's one of the best of its kind. Quite dark and chilling, but also warm and friendly. Highly recommended.

Big Trouble in Little China (John Carpenter, 1986)

When a young Chinese girl is kidnapped by gangs, a tough-talking truck driver must team up with the girl's fiancée to find her; little do they know that they are being pulled into a confrontation with an ancient sorcerer who desires to be free of his curse of incorporeality. A box office disappointment upon initial release, this now cult classic is one of director Carpenter's best films, effortlessly mixing martial arts fantasy with situational comedy. It's fast-paced and high octane fun.

Field of Dreams (Phil Alden Robinson, 1989)

One day, an Iowa farmer hears a voice in his cornfield, which later prompts him to build a baseball diamond out of it. Soon, the new field is frequented by the long-deceased players indicted in the 1919 World Series scandal, but still the voice urges him on. I'm not a big fan of sports, but for some reason, I like sports movies, and this sentimental fantasy is among the best of them. Add in a reclusive author (James Earl Jones) and a kind doctor (Burt Lancaster), and you got yourselves a great movie.

Raven

Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959). This is a great kid's fantasy film about the fiddle-playing Darby O'Gill who gets involved legendary aspects of Irish folklore like the Little People, the Banshee, etc. It features a young Sean Connery and the Banshee is pretty spooky (if memory serves).

Raven

I decided to synthesize what we have so far. I've included sequels altogether, in the year of the first release. Other than that these should be chronological.

This is what we have so far:

La Belle et la Bête (Jean Cocteau, 1946).
You know the tale: a merchant, lost in the woods, is accosted by an aristocratic beast and forced to exchange his daughter for his life. Now a guest at the Beast's castle, the "captive" grows increasingly fond of him, though a family illness and her scheming sisters threaten to cause them tragedy. This French film, which the Disney version appears to draw inspiration from, as well as the original Beaumont story, is a surreal masterpiece. Everything is dreamlike and stylized, as well as well-acted (though you'll need subtitles). It's a true fairy tale in every sense of the world.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959).
This is a great kid's fantasy film about the fiddle-playing Darby O'Gill who gets involved legendary aspects of Irish folklore like the Little People, the Banshee, etc. It features a young Sean Connery and the Banshee is pretty spooky (if memory serves).

Wizards (1977).
One of those 70s-animation classics. A great answer to all of the traditional narrative animation that was made during the era. Great fantasy adventure with classic tropes presented in an interesting way.

Watership Down (Martin Rosen, 1978).
Based on the classic animal fantasy by Richard Adams, this quite faithful adaptation is a wonderful animated classic in its own right; highly acclaimed upon its release, it's dark (even a touch gruesome) yet ultimately optimistic. Highly recommended.

Dragonslayer (Matthew Robbins, 1981).
A co-production of Paramount and Walt Disney(!), this dark film (this is pre-PG-13, that special kind of 80's dark) is a fine piece of work from the director of the later lighthearted sci-fi flick Batteries Not Included. The plot is relatively simple - an apprentice wizard is called up to stop a terrible dragon that's terrorizing a kingdom, which sacrifices maidens through a lottery to satiate the beast. The production design of this movie is fantastic, and as wonderful as Dragonheart is, the film arguably has THE BEST onscreen dragon to ever appear in any film, a "fact" attested to by filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and author George R. R. Martin; this is probably due to it being superb practical effects courtesy of Industrial Light and Magic. I really recommend it. Honestly, if you don't like any of the characters, just watch it for the dragon.

Time Bandits (1981).
This is a really interesting older fantasy movie that's well worth the watch, I'd say. It's a quirky "low fantasy" film, involving some dwarfs and a boy from the "real world." It's got a lot of that classic 80's fantasy vibe.

The Dark Crystal (Jim Henson and Frank Oz, 1982).
A small elf-like creature finds himself entrusted with returning the shard of a mystic crystal to its parent body, thus reuniting two species of split personalities. This is one of the most impressive films I've ever seen, being told entirely with puppets and animatronics. The philosophy may be questionable, but the design and cinematography are perfect. On a personal note, this is also one of the most frightening films for a young child to see.

The Flight of Dragons (Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Rankin Bass, 1982).
A good wizard summons a man of science from the 20th century to challenge his evil counterpart in the realm of magic, as the world inevitably turns to science and logic; things become complicated when the newcomers is accidentally magically fused into the body of a dragon. It's one of Rankin/Bass's best, perhaps most memorable for trying to scientifically explain magic and magical creatures.

The Secret of NIMH (Don Bluth, 1982).
When her youngest son takes ill of pneumonia and with the plow on the horizon, a timid mother mouse seeks the help of a band of rats gifted with human intelligence by scientific experimentation; together, they must move her house to a more protective area while keeping their existence secret from humans. Based on the book by Robert C. O'Brien, this is the film that launched Don Bluth's career as a feature animator, and at a time when Disney had fallen slack, it's one of the best of its kind. Quite dark and chilling, but also warm and friendly. Highly recommended.

Ladyhawke (1985).
An older fantasy flick about a man and woman who are cursed to be always apart and always together. It is an interesting film, if dated at times by its soundtrack.

Brazil (1985).
A government employee with a menial job gets stuck with the task of correcting an error by bureaucratic machines and ends up getting pulled into a plot regarding a suspected terrorist. It's more science fiction than fantasy, but it's still quite fantastic, being an extremely well-made and slapsticky parody of Orwell's 1984 while retaining the paranoia, materialism, and sense of oppressive government intrusion into everyday life.

Legend (Ridley Scott, 1985).
A young forest boy has to save both a princess and the last living unicorn to stop the Devil from plunging the world into eternal night. Evokes a more ancient, darker telling of a fairy tale. Wonderful film with incredible atmosphere and tremendous set and makeup design; its New Age electronic score is surprisingly complementary to the mood of the film. It's not perfect - there are some plot holes and undefined elements - but it remains one of my favorites and a fine representation of Scott's particular style which also appears in Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. (NOTE: The major memories I have just recounted, including the soundtrack by German electronica group Tangerine Dream, come from the commonly released American print. There is also, however, a Director's Cut in circulation which adds about 24 excised minutes to the original film and utilizes the original, more traditional score by legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith.)

Highlander (Russell Mulcahy, 1986).

in the year 1536, a Scottish Highlander discovers that he is of a race of immortals who must fight each other for a mysterious ultimate "Prize"; 449 years later, he must confront the strongest member of his race - a vicious psychopath called the Kurgan - on the streets of New York City. While it wouldn't be perfected until the 1992 TV series (and let's leave it at that...), this is still one of the quintessential cult films, being an interesting story with an intriguing premise, plus a really solid cast and a memorable soundtrack by Queen.

Labyrinth (1986).
A really fun Henson film with a lot of whimsy and unfortunately way too much of David Bowie in tight pants.

Big Trouble in Little China (John Carpenter, 1986).
When a young Chinese girl is kidnapped by gangs, a tough-talking truck driver must team up with the girl's fiancée to find her; little do they know that they are being pulled into a confrontation with an ancient sorcerer who desires to be free of his curse of incorporeality. A box office disappointment upon initial release, this now cult classic is one of director Carpenter's best films, effortlessly mixing martial arts fantasy with situational comedy. It's fast-paced and high octane fun.

The Princess Bride (1987).
Perhaps the most classic fantasy film from my childhood, re-watched an untold number of times. The classic love story of Wesley and Buttercup, the fencing of Inigo Montoya, the whole thing is beautifully done. And it is infinitely quotable.

Willow (Ron Howard, 1988).
Once again, the fate of the world rests in the hands of the little people - in question, a humble farmer/practicing sorcerer named Willow Ufgood who happens upon an infant human destined to unseat the cruel occultic queen in power. Joining him are an egotistical yet talented swordsman, a pair of mischievous Brownies, an elderly sorceress cursed to animal form, and eventually the queen's own warrior-daughter. This tale, sprung from the mind of George Lucas, is a charming one, though it's definitely no Star Wars, in spite of Lucas's intentions. There are definitely stronger films out there, but the cast is well selected in my opinion (enough to put the whole project above average) and the effects for the time are pretty good. It's a true cult classic, and sometimes that's better.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988).
As an unnamed European city is under attack by the Ottoman Empire, the legendary Baron Munchausen, master of self-embellished tall tales, finds himself paired with a young girl from a theatre troupe and forced by circumstances to defend the populace. But first he must round up his old crew of fantastic individuals - the world's fastest runner, a sharpshooter with incredible eyesight, a dwarf with superhuman hearing and lung capacity, and a man of immense physical strength - which will take him all the way from the moon and its king of split minds, to the center of the earth and the halls of Vulcan and Venus themselves, to the stomach of a sea monster, all the way back to the hordes of the Turkish army. As my description should indicate, this is a fantastically imaginative movie; it had a troubled production design, but the finished project is some of the funniest, liveliest, sweet-natured bull put to film. I'd argue that it's my favorite of the "Trilogy."

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1988).
Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1989).
The Silver Chair (1990)
The BBC versions from '88 - '90 were truly enjoyable as a child. I have especially fond memories of that version of The Silver Chair, but all of them were good.

Field of Dreams (Phil Alden Robinson, 1989).
One day, an Iowa farmer hears a voice in his cornfield, which later prompts him to build a baseball diamond out of it. Soon, the new field is frequented by the long-deceased players indicted in the 1919 World Series scandal, but still the voice urges him on. I'm not a big fan of sports, but for some reason, I like sports movies, and this sentimental fantasy is among the best of them. Add in a reclusive author (James Earl Jones) and a kind doctor (Burt Lancaster), and you got yourselves a great movie.

Cronos (1993).
Del Toro's first feature film, this outstanding modern take on the vampire tale follows an elderly antique dealer who discovers an alchemical device which restores his youthful vitality at the expense of a taste for blood; meanwhile, an unscrupulous businessman and his cruel nephew are also searching for the device. I found this to be a mesmerizing piece, particularly as the protagonist is an old man and a good chunk of the drama rests on his relationship with his granddaughter.

The City of Lost Children (1995).
This surrealistic French film follows a scientist's evil creation who, unable to dream, must abduct children to power his dream machine; the older brother of one of the kidnapped children, accompanied by a wily orphan girl, must seek out the monster's lair after contending with both a gang of orphans and the creature's sinister mechanisms. It's a dreamlike steampunk film with a sense of humor about it that makes for a rather modern fairy tale.

Dragon Heart (1996).
Dragon Heart is a classic that I don't really hear lauded that often, to be honest. Sean Connery voicing the dragon is perhaps the best part. David Thewlis as a younger man than his Harry Potter Prof. Lupin appearances plays a suitably dislikable movie bad guy. It is the funnest dragon romp that I know of, with plenty of classic fantasy film humor.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116136/

Dungeons & Dragons (Courtney Solomon, 2000).
Released one year before The Lord of the Rings - by the same company, no less (New Line Cinema) - the film follows a pair of thieves, a librarian mage, a dwarf (isn't it always?) and an elf soldier (always...) as they have to keep a rod capable of controlling red dragons out of the hands of the mage who eyes the empire. Basically, it's a film that goes so wrong that it goes right. Whether overacted (see Jeremy Irons as the lead villain eviscerate the scenery), underacted (the empress is......whatever) or just done for no reason at all, it's a treat to care so little for what they want to you care most about. Recommended for a laugh.

The Lord of the Rings Series by Peter Jackson.
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014).

We'll go ahead and mention the modern Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit which started out strong but got progressively worse, in my opinion, bottoming out with the Hobbit.
They took Lord of the Rings to a new audience, but at the same time . . .

Hellboy (2004) and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008).
Bases on the phenomenally stylized comic book by Mike Mignola, these two films form what was to be a trilogy that was sadly shelved; the main draw of them is the incredible style and makeup work. The first film follows the title character - a demon summoned by the Nazis but raised by the Allies - as he uncovers a plot by the infamous Rasputin to summon abominable gods and usher in the end of the world. The second film deals with the ancient realm of Faerie - in particular, a bitter elven prince - trying to reclaim the modern world from humanity. I highly recommend both films, though the second one may be of more interest to fantasy fans. 

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005)
Prince Caspian (2008)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)

I only saw the first one in entirety, and parts of the second. I was not impressed with the Hollywoodization of the films. Not my cup of tea, but it might be someone else's.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006).
Very well made film. Brutal. Thought it was very good but I don't think I could bring myself to watch it again.

Spirited Away, (Hayao Miyazaki, 2006).
A young girl traveling with her parents watches them fall under a spell and enters a magical bathhouse as a worker to try and free them. Enchantment, love, and beauty abound.

Stardust (2007).
This is a coming of age film about a young man who crossed over a wall into a magical world and ends up rescuing a star that fell from the heavens. In the process, he has a number of adventures and meets some fun characters. Overall, I think this is a very nice fantasy flick and I've seen it a couple times and enjoyed it both. It is not a hack and slash sort of fantasy movie, which is a plus. There are certain tropes that are fairly common -- having to devour beauty to retain it -- but they work and are a recipe for a pretty nice film.

The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008).
This was a fun fantasy film. It's just the sort of low fantasy film that I like -- children exploring an old estate with fantastical secrets, magical creatures, woodland adventures. I honestly wish there were more to this series (both in terms of books and movies, even though I've just started the books). As fantasy series go, it is rather brief, and there is only one movie to my knowledge.

Trollhunter (2010).
This is a Norwegian film about a documentary team that follows a government hunter and explores a world that the Norwegian government wants to hide. This is a fantastic film in the Norwegian language (subtitles available) that whimsically walks the line between comedy, suspense thriller, and fantasy film. I expect this to become a classic among lovers of odd-ball fantasy films. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

Age of Dragons (2011).
I saw at least a chunk of this on tv a long time ago, so I think it may have had a lot of the sexual stuff cut out, but this retelling of Herman Mellville's Moby Dick, making Moby Dick a white dragon and the Ahab character played by Danny Glover, ranks in the bad category. Overall, the reviews are pretty terrible, which is a shame because the idea seems solid enough to potentially make a good film. 
One thing it has going for it, which is a northern wintery setting, which is one of my favorite types of fantasy settings.

Dragonfyre (2013).
It has surprisingly little to do with dragons, but is mostly about a guy with guns battling hordes of Lord of the Rings extras who are invading our planet through a magic gateway. Throw in some cliché stuff and B film actors and you've got a good all around sick day watch. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333508/

The BFG (2016).
I have to say, I smiled and laughed through this film. It made me feel like a kid in some ways. This was truly an enjoyable fantastical excursion. Favorite moments include the London scenes, the dream-related scenes,and scenes in the BFG's home and workshop. This is a film I plan to watch again, and I also plan to read the book as a result of how much I liked the movie. The film is written as a children's fantasy, but it is surprisingly deep and emotionally sensitive at times, with a lot of things going unspoken or implied. There was plenty of outright wonder and plenty of subtleties. This was some grade A storytelling.

Dave Made a Maze (2017). Talk about a movie with a remarkable set. It's a comic fantasy horror film set in a "labyrinth" that a young man makes in he and his girlfriend's apartment living room. The maze begins to take on a life of its own, including a minotaur. People get trapped inside. Some good comic bits and a light-weight fantasy flick and indy film.

Raven

I just watched this tonight.

Colossal (2016).
In this sci-fi/fantasy/drama/thriller, a young woman struggling with alcoholism discovers that she controls the monster mysteriously plaguing Seoul, South Korea. As the film progresses, the horrors and struggles of human life play out on the world stage.

Raven

So, I've been watching some Russian productions this winter. I just watched a Russian fantasy film titled "I Am Dragon" in translation. It takes place mostly between two characters on an island formed out of the bones of an old dragon. It's a romance plot, but interesting enough and fairly decent production value. I'm going to continue looking into Russian film, but I am also aware that India has put out some fantasy films that may be worth a viewing.

Raven

I just watched the first two films in the Mythica series.
First of all, this series is obviously a D&D campaign storyline with all the tropes but in film format. Yet the production value and acting are better than I would expect of a B movie with that kind of a basis. I might finish the series some day.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Coraline (Henry Selick, 2009)

Based on the children's novella by Neil Gaiman, this dark fantasy from the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas follows a young girl, dissatisfied with her boring life, who finds a passageway to a parallel dimension that proves to be more lively and energized than her own world. 'Tis a pity she doesn't really question deeply why everyone has buttons for eyes, because her Other Mother may have some not-so-pleasant intentions for her....

Raven

So, I got hooked and finished the Mythica series:

Mythica 1: A Quest for Heroes
Mythica 2: The Darkspore
Mythica 3: The Necromancer
Mythica 4: The Iron Crown
Mythica 5: The Godslayer

Overall, I enjoyed them. As I said before, they're basically a D&D campaign done as a film. Lots of classic tropes, but way better acted and told than most films that draw a lot from D&D.

Raven

Dudes and Dragons (2016), an adventure comedy, starring one of the lead actors from the Mythica series. A lighthearted rescue the damsel in distress tale, playing on fantasy tropes and having a fun time doing so. It's a good story and a good sick day adventure.

Raven

Due to a horrid pestilence that has plagued me of late (some kind of respiratory infection), I've been watching a lot of movies and sleeping. I'll keep posting them here.

So, there's an actor named Adam Johnson who has made/acted in a lot of B fantasy movies -- and done a good job. He was in Dragonfyre which I have mentioned previously. He is the actor from Mythica who also played in Dudes and Dragons.
I watched another one featuring him tonight, called Orcs! (2017). In a way, this is similar to Dragonfyre (orcs get into our world). In this case, it's much more of a comedy, where the orcs get accidentally released into a national park by a mining operation and are battled off by a small cast of characters led by Adam Johnson who plays a park ranger. It's a fun movie, with nods to LotR and such. It's definitely a good sick day watch.

I also watched the Knights of Badassdom (2013).
Now with names like Peter Dinklage, Summar Glau, and Steve Zahn, one could expect a really good movie here. The premise -- LARPers accidentally summon a succubus and have to vanquish it during a weekend LARP retreat.  In truth, it does not rise above the B film fantasy flic genre. In fact, the acting of such a great cast is wasted here. This definitely doesn't pass the Bechdel test and Summer Glau's character is surprisingly shallow, her presence obviously just a visual lure for fan boys (and filmed that way). I would have welcomed more from Peter Dinklage, but it is hard to imagine what in a relatively shallow film such as this. Now, this is a comedy and not intended to be deep, fair enough.  But even given that, it wasn't really that funny, not that much of an adventure, the ending wasn't that satisfying. It seems like a waste of a really good cast. Maybe I'm being too hard on the film because it has such great actors, but in general I didn't like it too much.

Raven

I know this isn't exactly a movie, but it may as well be. I just finished the great three part series The Color of Magic (2009) which is based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld. I haven't read the books (I might pick them up, now, after having watched this and enjoyed it) but this mini-series with acting by Tim Curry, Sean Astin, and Sir David Jason is highly recommended by myself.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Det sjunde inseglet [The Seventh Seal] (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)

The film that made Ingmar Bergman an international name in film, this classic of world cinema, set in medieval, plague-ravaged Sweden, follows a weary knight and his bleak squire as they encounter a host of characters while pondering the silence of God; meanwhile, the knight challenges Death himself to a game of chess in order to stave off the inevitable until he performs one meaningful deed. A staple of arthouse and film classes, it may be rather cerebral for the casual viewer at first glance, but it's still tremendously enjoyable as well as thought-provoking, and you should see it at least once in your life.