Main Menu

Western and Eastern Storytelling: The Great Divide

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, April 21, 2017, 02:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

My discussions have got me thinking some about the different storytelling techniques and themes of radically opposing cultures. I don't want to be accused of being unfaithful or wanting in Christian faith, but I don't want to condemn cultures for being different from my own, even in spiritual matters (at least initially). What I would wish to do is understand before I pass judgment, and that entails thoroughly exploring and evaluating a subject on its own terms as well as Christian standards.

Here's a blog entry on the differences between Western and Eastern storytelling that may be of interest:
https://blog.tkmarnell.com/east-asian-storytelling/

It's an interesting discussion, but at the risk of overreacting and sounding "close-minded", I have to ask whether there are simply too many irreconcilable differences between the styles of fiction. Does that make Eastern fiction and values un-Christian and therefore dangerous? Should it be ultimately rejected? How dangerous is this cultural dissonance, and how should Christians react to it?

I ask this because, on some level, Eastern (particularly Asian) fiction has a devout, sizable following, and it permeates a lot of the present day culture as well as the reaction to it. Therefore, there is a significant danger if this fascination is wrapped up in matters that the faithful should have nothing to do with, and that goes for the whole of the culture, not just a small part. So what should be our response?
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Hey Coir,

I only had time to make the briefest of glances at that article, but will try to review more thoroughly later on.

I'm a little confused by your perspective that seems to indicate that western thought is somehow Christian or "more" Christian than eastern thought. Certainly, there is a long tradition of Christianity influencing western thought, fair enough, but Christianity originated geographically and culturally in an eastern/middle eastern context.
I'm a little concerned with the dichotomous/black-and-white/polarized thinking where something is all good or all bad. I don't think any culture is all good or all bad.

Your third paragraph seems to imply that because Eastern storytelling is different from western storytelling, then perhaps Eastern storytelling is un-Christian. That seems to imply that western storytelling is somehow Christian. I don't get that. It might be argued that western storytelling has been influenced more by Christian storytelling, but it would be a mistake to conflate western and Christian storytelling. And certainly western culture is a long, long way from being specifically Christian. That article mentions the value of respecting elders in eastern storytelling. How is that not in agreement with scripture, compared to western culture which does not respect elders in the same way? It is dangerous to conflate western with Christian, and it is dangerous to think in polarized terms of one is good and the other bad when talking about whole cultures and perspectives that are certainly interlaced with both good and bad aspects, I think,  upon reflection. The disciples weren't western men, nor Moses, nor Solomon the wise, nor Abraham our father in faith, nor David the king. They were servants and worshipers of the Most High God. That was the key element. They were middle eastern, maybe even eastern men, but their earthly culture was being changed and used and created by God and the Church.

Just because something disagrees with the faith doesn't mean that we as Christians cannot engage with it, critically think about it, etc. We need to be wise and reflect on how it might be influencing us, though, and if it is immoral or causing immorality, etc. So I agree with the idea of evaluating.

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I guess that in my limited knowledge of the subject, I am prone to making generalizations and other errors of thought. This was also, I suppose, something of a response to some of our discussions, though they've bee rather short. Again, I made the common mistake of equating "Western" with "Christian", as it would seem a lot of people do, possibly because of appropriation in the public eye.

I think it's still a worthwhile discussion on different storytelling methods, but ultimately, it will take deeper and more considerate thought than I have to offer. At the moment, I'm going to rely on other opinions to keep the discussion going, unless I can think of something else to say about it.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

It's a worthwhile discussion. I have been traveling for the past 11 or so days, so I have not been able to follow up on some of the discussions, but I want to dig deeper into our other thread.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.