Main Menu

Some Possible Changes for the Recommended Reading Topics

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, August 24, 2018, 02:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I've been doing some thinking about the recommendation topics. I definitely want to keep doing them, but I'm sort of running into roadblocks that I've unintentionally set up for myself. See, with my own personal reading/viewing schedules, what I take in is limited, and I try to focus on actually GOOD works. Therefore, I feel I'm kind of running low on material to work with. So I'd like to offer some options/updates for everyone to consider.

Point 1) There's no written rule that I have to be the only one making recommendations - I simply took it up when Raven suggested it - so I'm not averse to outsourcing. If anyone would like to take over for a month and give their own personal picks, I'd be happy to oblige. You don't necessarily need to stick to the exact same format as I have, but if there was one nitpick I have to make, I would suggest that you stick with books and movies that you've actually read and seen, not simply what you've heard about. I admit that I was originally working that way in the early stages, but I realize that it might be unwise to recommend based on something other than personal experience. You don't want others getting into things that you wouldn't get into yourself. So if you're gonna do it, stick with what you know.

Point 2) Fantasy technically falls under the broad term speculative fiction, which encompasses science fiction and horror as well. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me branching out and including science fiction and horror titles in the mix. I know that the main focus of this site and its viewers seems to be primarily fantasy, but to keep things interesting and to give a broader view of the field, I'd like to be as inclusive as I can, since there are many cases in which genres overlap. Feel free to let me know - I'd rather not do anything unless I have support for it.

Point 3) When I started this series in its "proper form", I made it a rule not to include series as recommendations because I didn't want to keep suggesting books by the same author the following month or have there be a large break in which time people may have let the previous entry slip out of their mind. Also, I don't want to make anyone spend more money than they have to. HOWEVER, as time has gone on, I feel that series needs its proper representation, and I'd like to include it when I can. Of course, if you haven't picked up from that wording, I don't want to make it a regular thing. I still intend to stick with what I know, and since I haven't actually read that many series myself, it would only be an occasional special entry on my part, so you don't need to feel overwhelmed. But if anyone agrees to Point 1 and takes over the series for a month and you've read an entire series, feel free to give it a mention. It's a good thing to keep them circulating.

Point 4) As of this writing, I haven't updated my Masters of Fantasy series in months. I still want to continue with it, but a thought occurs to me: I've listed out quite a few names of authors that way but only given some brief descriptions of them and their work. I don't know if I want to do it here in the forum or on the blog, but I think that we should take some time out someday to spotlight a particular author that I've covered (maybe even some I haven't) and give more focus on his/her contribution to the field. Sure, you can look that stuff up already in the offsite resources, but I'd really like to get some discussion going. It's just something to think about.

Well, that's all I have right now. Let me know what you all think about this; any criticism is welcome (as long as it's polite, of course). Have you actually been enjoying the recommendations? Would you like them to continue, or are they just taking up space?
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

I guess I'll take the points one by one:

1):    Yeah, I'd be interested in taking over a month.

2): I say at the very least we should include sci-fi.

3): I don't see why we can't include series if we just mention in the same month that it's a series. Recommend and describe the first book and then say, "this is a series and these are the other books."

4): If you want to highlight a particular author, I say go right ahead.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Well, whoever wants to take over for a month, just let me know in advance so we don't have two competing recommendations in the works.

I'd still like to do horror, but I say it should be anything that either borders on or directly deals with the fantastic. Sure, there are some good realistic horror stories, but I think everyone could agree on not going too far into disturbing territory. MAYBE I'll someday touch on the alternative, but for right now, I'd like to focus on traditional ghosts and goblins, as that seems to be within our demographic.

As for series, I think I should let you go first and I'll try to follow your model. Personally speaking, I'd rather recommend when I know that the entire series holds up to good standards, not merely something that eventually fizzles out after later entries. But that's just me, and if you (or anyone else) wants to work differently, that's fine.

Concerning highlighting authors, where would you like to see them? Should I make them forum topics for discussion, or should I make it a new series on my blog (where comments are also appreciated)? Where would the most exposure come from? You know, it doesn't have to be just me doing it. Of course, that would probably necessitate it being a forum topic.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.