Main Menu

October 2018 Recommended Reading/Viewing

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, October 01, 2018, 02:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Here we are, in the last third of the year, and the witching hour is upon us - the Halloween season is here! Therefore, though it may not be to everyone's taste, I think it fitting to recommend some fantastically chilling stories for the month, something to keep you up at night. And here we go!

Reading: The Shining (1977) by Stephen King

It may certainly be expected to bring up the Master of Horror's third novel - the one that firmly established him as one of the most eminent names in American fiction - but don't let that be a mark against the book's quality. The story should be familiar to all: struggling writer Jack Torrance is given a last chance job as the winter caretaker of Colorado's prestigious Overlook Hotel, bringing his wife and young son with him to wait out until the new opening season. Little does anyone suspect the presence within the walls of the building, one which takes a particular interest in the gifted son, and it soon may cost them all dearly when it tries to use Jack as a conduit for its own purposes. A perennial favorite of many a fan of supernatural terror, this classic tale earns its place in the public consciousness with its frank dialogue, psychological breakdown, and steady pacing, mounting the eeriness incrementally until the fiery climax. A treat for any occasion!

Trade: https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Stephen-King/dp/0345806786/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1538374130&sr=8-3
Mass Market: https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Stephen-King/dp/0307743659/ref=tmm_mmp_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1538374130&sr=8-3
Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Stephen-King-ebook/dp/B001BANK32/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1538374130&sr=8-3

Viewing: Poltergeist (Tobe Hooper, 1982)

Written and produced by Steven Spielberg (and alleged by some to be the real director), this story follows a well-to-do California family whose daughter strangely begins to converse with the TV one night. Events begin to mount when it becomes clear that the house is occupied by spirits, one in particular that wishes more than mere pranks on the living occupants. One of the best supernatural horror films of the 1980's, this is a wonderful film full of that trademark Spielberg charm, balancing both whimsical sentimentality with creeping dread; the soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith is quite evocative, and the special effects still hold up remarkably well today. A great ride for anyone who loves a good scare.

DVD: https://www.amazon.com/Poltergeist-JoBeth-Williams/dp/B000V4UFZK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538375492&sr=8-3&keywords=poltergeist+dvd
Blu-Ray: https://www.amazon.com/Poltergeist-Blu-ray-Craig-T-Nelson/dp/B003O97W5K/ref=sr_1_11_atc_badge_A2N1U4I2KOS032_twi_blu_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538375399&sr=8-11&keywords=poltergeist
Amazon Video: https://www.amazon.com/Poltergeist-Craig-T-Nelson/dp/B004742Y68/ref=tmm_aiv_swatch_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1538375399&sr=8-11

This took quite a bit of thought, and I made a last minute change to the reading; I hope this is well suited for the season. Happy Halloween!
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

I love fall. You can probably anticipate -- since we've had much discussion -- how I feel about scary/horror, but it is undoubtedly a major cultural aspect of the season.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Yeah, I knew you would probably skip it this month. But I feel I have sort of an obligation to the public to discuss horror at this time of year, and considering both the author and the book in question, to say nothing of the movie, I think it's important to experience it at least once, if for no other reason than to see what the big deal about it is, considering its permeating the collective consciousness. It may be worthwhile to see if it actually holds up today, and, for readers and viewers like us, it might also be beneficial to see if it has any Christian value worth considering. We should be actively engaging pop culture if we want to reach anyone, and these stories have a significant audience.

I hope I don't sound too preachy, because I don't really consider myself an active "minister" making any real headway, more guilty of being consumed by pop culture rather than challenging it. Still, I think it's a position worth considering.

Raven

I'm not faulting you for your choices, just giving my personal reaction.
I think that the "actively engaging pop culture" idea is a mixed bag. We still need to have wisdom and follow the Spirit in understanding what is worthwhile and what is just participating in things we shouldn't. That said, as far as literature, I think it makes sense to analyze the relationship of horror to the fantasy and sci-fi genres.

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

DarnellN

Quote from: Raven on October 08, 2018, 10:07:58 PMI'm thrilled with these testosterone boosters and not faulting you for your choices, just giving my personal reaction.
I think that the "actively engaging pop culture" idea is a mixed bag. We still need to have wisdom and follow the Spirit in understanding what is worthwhile and what is just participating in things we shouldn't. That said, as far as literature, I think it makes sense to analyze the relationship of horror to the fantasy and sci-fi genres.

Seems like you've opted for some classics both for viewing and reading there. What are your thoughts on The Shining so far? How far into it are you?

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Welcome to the forum! Hope you're here to stay for a while. There are plenty of topics to go around, and feel free to start some yourself. I hope you don't take this as making you do something, but there's an "Introduce Yourself Here" topic stuck at the top of the index; if you're comfortable with it, tell us some more about yourself there.

In answer to your question, I've actually finished the book quite some time ago, like last year. I don't go around recommending books unless I'm either reading them or have finished them. That being said, I really loved it, although I can't say I was particularly scared by it. I think that, having seen quite a bit of stuff over my short life, I've become desensitized to horror fiction, so I don't read it to be scared. Actually, I'm more disturbed by movies and other visual media than books; with the written word, there's a considerable distance I can put myself so I won't be affected by it. Still, it was a great read, and I'd love to read it again; maybe I'll even catch some things I didn't before, and maybe I can appreciate it more.