Main Menu

What Have You Been Meaning to Get To?

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, April 19, 2019, 06:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I'm curious about something. I don't want to pry into anyone's private life too deeply, but I got to thinking about what everyone has on their waiting list, what everyone always says they're going to do but continues to put off. For me, it's usually books, and I was originally going to make that the genuine focus of this topic, but I'm wondering if there's anything else that you've been delaying. Any house projects or plans that have been set aside?

As I said, for me, it's primarily books. I've been honestly meaning to get to the works of Charles Dickens, as I'm really under-read with him. I've picked up The Pickwick Papers a couple times, but I've always ended up moving on to something else. It's nothing against the quality of the book - I've never gotten far enough into it to make any proper judgments. Eventually, I'll get to it, as I'm determined to complete it, but I still have some more that I want to get to first. It's the same thing with The Count of Monte Cristo, as I put that aside too, though I managed to get about halfway through it. I hope to complete that at some point soon.

Perhaps it's because I love fantasy so much more. There are several authors I've got set aside, but particularly, I've got it in my mind to pick up the works of Mervyn Peake, who wrote the surreal Gormenghast novels. They're considered serious fantasy classics by both fans and critics but never got the attention that other series got, probably because they're so out of the ordinary. I started reading them some months ago and got about 142 pages into the first book, but again, I let it go. As they're being developed into a new television series soon, and also since I've continued to read some heavy praise for them, I'm intent on picking them back up and starting all over again. I hope to talk about them and the author himself at length further in the future.

I also have some house projects to get to, but I'm really waiting for the weather to break completely. Then the outside of the house will have to be power-washed, the porches either repainted or restained, excess leaves raked up, bushes trimmed back and weeds pulled up. Mom's car and my bike could also use some washing. I guess it's not a whole lot of work, and it's not like we're trying to make the house look exceptionally pretty, but it's enough to keep us all occupied, and I'm looking forward to it in a way. At the moment, I can't think of anything else that I need to do.

Well, what's on your agenda? What have you been putting off for quite some time now?
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

A big one right now -- I put in three new windows this winter in my attic and I have to repair and seal the siding on the outside of the house around the spots where I put them in. I'm kind of not looking forward to it, even though I could theoretically have it done in an afternoon.

I've been meaning to do more writing/revising to get a few more of my books printed up and released and finish up some others that I haven't completed.
I also want to spend more solid time playing music.
I also want to get my harp fixed.

There are other things I like to do that I haven't in a while; journaling, archery.

Life is quite full right now, and I've mostly been thinking of gardening the last few weeks.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.