Main Menu

Science Fiction Movies

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, May 29, 2019, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Since I'm talking about the authors, I thought it would be beneficial to our conversations to follow in the direction we've taken with fantasy and list off some science fiction movies we've seen. Personally, I find it easier to talk about sci-fi movies because fantasy films, outside of animation, seem to have only recently become mainstream, whereas science fiction has a long and respectable lineage in motion pictures. I'd dare say that sci-fi has contributed to some of the most groundbreaking and influential films ever put to celluloid. I'm sure there are at least a few that you've all seen.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (Robert Wise, 1951)

One of the perennial classics of the genre - an alien visitor and a menacing robot come to Earth with a message of warning concerning the dangers of nuclear arms, and they're prepared to stop technology in its tracks completely to prove a point. A more cerebral, talkative piece that may be a bit dated, but it's still great fun.

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

A landmark sheer spectacle, this epic journey traces the development of mankind from its primordial ancestors to the future space age, directed by mysterious black monoliths that harbinger and unknown future. Definitely a slow-moving film, it may take repeated viewings to fully grasp its message, but once you're in the mindset, it's an exceedingly impressive vision, not to mention more scientifically accurate that others. Highlights include an all-classical/experimental score, spectacular production design, and a menacingly eerie supercomputer that controls an entire ship but becomes increasingly paranoid.

Star Wars: Episodes IV-VI (George Lucas, 1977/Irvin Kirschner, 1980/Richard Marquand, 1983)

The definitive space opera and one of the greatest cultural phenomenons of modern culture, I don't even need to explain the plot to you, because you all already know it, even if you don't realize it yet. An example of the monomyth (hero's journey) spelt out in full, it's probably influenced as many stories as Tolkien's work: the inexperienced farm boy called to greatness, the evil Empire, the dark shrouded enforcer and his nefarious overlord, the princess of the rebellion, the dashing rogue and his sidekick....the list goes on. For better or worse, it changed the filmgoing experience entirely, and we're still feeling the repercussions today.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Serenity (2005)
I'm a fan of the show Firefly and so this is one of the first movies that came to mind. Of course, it is better when contextualized with the series.

Most of my sci-fi enjoyment comes from television series, but there are some good films out there, too.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.