Main Menu

Plans for the Recommended Reading and Possible Blog Series

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, April 24, 2020, 01:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I've been thinking about things recently. I'm not going to stop doing the recommended reading or my blog series (although the latter is on hiatus due to me not prioritizing it), but here's the thing: I want to expand my horizons somewhat, and, to be honest, I'm only a slow-to-average-speed reader - it usually takes me a while to complete a book, and since I tend to pick up or put down depending on what strikes my mood, I can have 3 or even 5 books going at once now. Therefore, I'm having a bit of difficulty delivering the right recommended reading on time, since I still keep to the rule of recommending only those books which I have personally read or started myself.

So, to broaden my choices, here's what I want to ask. Would it be alright if I recommend and blog about books that don't really have to do with speculative fiction? By that, I'm talking about titles that don't have any fantasy/science fiction/horror elements to them. It kind of goes against the unspoken purpose of this site, I guess, but when I think about the common themes in the books I read and the movies and video games I've experienced, a couple things seem to be present in all of my favorites: a sense of adventure, definite thrills, and a strong attachment to history. Thus, I would like my future choices for recommendations and blog entries to include:

-adventure fiction/romances (stories of quests or incredible happenstance filled with danger and/or excitement)
-thrillers (action, suspense, mystery and related subjects)
-historical fiction (stories explicitly dealing with the subjects of the near/distant past)

While I know Raven has given me a lot of freedom in what I've focused on so far, I don't want to go forward with this without the explicit approval of everyone else who participates on this site (which usually means just Raven). Would you accept these subjects in the recommended reading and the blog, or do you think I'm going too far and I should just stick to fantasy and fantastic themes?
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Hey Coir,

Do whatever you like. It's pretty much free rein at this point.
I just ordered a bunch of used books, actually. Should be here in one to two weeks. Some sequels and such, mostly fantasy. I want to get reading again. I was doing some professional educational work this winter and my pleasure reading basically stopped, but I want to get going again.
I'm really interested in the recent direction some current fantasy writers have taken away from the grand epic adventure and to a more close-to-earth take on individual people. I've read a couple heist stories set in fantasy worlds and enjoyed them.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.