Main Menu

They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard!

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, March 17, 2016, 11:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

It's funny how people can take these seemingly throw-away lines in film and TV and turn them into these little "sensations" that become small pop culture milestones.
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

I remember this, though it was never one of my favorites, it definitely had its time in the spotlight. For me, my favorite early memes were the Nums Numa guy and Strongbad. But what is interesting is that now we have more than one generation of Internet users and the most recent generation does not even necessarily know about or remember memes and social movements of the previous generation of Internet users. In other words, now we have generational internet culture, and myriad subcultures for that matter.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Yeah, I love me some Homestar Runner.

Right now, my thing is Internet reviewers. I like seeing rather ordinary people put into words what I can't/don't/won't about aspects of popular culture. Most of it deals with film and video games - a nostalgic look at the past and all its flaws, though there's also quite a bit of modern analysis as well.

Primarily, I pay attention to a site called Channel Awesome (formerly ThatGuyWithTheGlasses), which is something of a collaborative community covering all types of media, and a few of their affiliates, such as Cinemassacre, not to mention YouTube "celebrities" like JonTron, Peanut Butter Gamer and Kyle Kallgren. In nearly all cases, it's a mix of regular reviewing and sketch comedy, sometimes in the style of Mystery Science Theater 3000. CAUTION: Also in most cases, being free from certain restrictions, the language can get pretty raunchy - lots of f-bombs and such are tossed around pretty nonchalantly. If you ever wish to check them out, just be prepared.

Raven

Speaking of internet collaborative communities. I remember that you were not bad with a pencil/pen when it came to drawing. Do you still draw?
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Not really, I'm afraid. I can probably do al little bit, but I haven't made any big progress. Three-dimensional art has always been a stumbling block for me.

Raven

Hmm. . . Would drawing a picture of the inside of an old cottage / village house full of books and artifacts be graspable?

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Maybe. It wouldn't look as good as others' work (and it would probably look a lot nicer in my head than in reality), but I could try something.

Or I can find some stock image somewhere on the Internet.

Perhaps both, just to be safe.