Main Menu

What You Read and Why

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, March 01, 2017, 11:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I apologize if this topic seems repetitive, but I felt I might give it a go with the right subject matter in mind. inspired by Raven's comments on my "Favorite Non-Fantastic Writers" page, I'd like to know what it is that you like to read and why you like it. This is not focused on writers by name but on broad genres and/or subjects, and it's open to everyone, not just Raven and myself.

Personally, my favorite genre is fantasy, although I could say that speculative fiction in general, encompassing all manner of subjects pertaining to non-realism, is my preferred taste. I can't exactly say why, though, if only because I'm not sure what I want out of it myself. I don't want to say that I'm trying to retreat from reality, but having lived with it every day, I prefer my leisure activities to be true flights of imagination; I like reading about other worlds, or even worlds within our own, where the rules that seem so steadfast are completely broken. For that reason, I like horror just as much, because I love to experience the dark side of wonder, the terrifying vistas of imagination. Science fiction is rather mixed for me; I like it, but I think I prefer the "soft" variety (subjects of social sciences like philosophy, sociology, psychology, etc.) to the more "hard" types (astronomy, physics, biology, chemistry, etc.).

However, I've always found history to be one of my favorite subjects, so I can say I'm fond of historical fiction, as well as stories so entrenched in a particular time and place as to be period pieces, whether intentional or not. As opposed to realism, I am quite attracted to Romantic literature, in the old-fashioned sense of the word. Heck, if it were good enough, I could even take in a Western. I am also interested in finding the "Great American Novel", wherever that may be, as well as other national epics.

So what do you like to read and why?
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Well, with Spring Break happening this coming week, I went to the used bookstore today. We have a surprisingly nice and large used bookstore, located on a slight hill above a main drag on the north side of town. It is a two-story, spacious place with quite a nice selection. I purchased two books, the one I went there specifically to find -- A Dance with Dragons, the latest in the Game of Thrones line -- and another book titled The Devil's Horsemen: The Mongol Invasion of Europe which also discusses Mongol involvement in the crusades.
I looked at the fantasy sections, the anthropology section, and the history sections (the latter where I found the Mongol book), and I walked around some other stuff. I think I've written about this before, but I focus on fantasy and history and cultural related books. The history could be an actual historical work on Mongols, or a literary work from a previous historical time, or historical fiction. I have gone through various phases of historical interest over the years, but the medieval period continues to be my favorite. Today, I was wanting to find a work on Chinese history or maybe Japanese history, and while I looked at a couple books, I didn't end up purchasing them. I decided to go just with the Mongol history one.
At any rate, history and cultures interest me, and the fantasy genre tends to be an imaginative combination of these things, so it makes sense at least to me.

For school I have read a lot of literature, though, considering the years I have spent in higher education. I have read a significant amount of literature from various periods including modern and I have enjoyed a lot of modern literature, both fiction and non-fiction with contemporary settings. But I don't keep going back to it like I do to books of history and fantastical literature. I have really enjoyed poetry in the past, but I rarely ever read or write it, now. But who knows? I'm open to re-igniting my interest in these other genres, but I'd rather it happen organically. I just don't feel it right now.
What really sparks my interest are tales of other times and other worlds, both in the imagination and the wide scope of history.
I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Yeah, I know you've said it before, but I felt it needed it's own topic to elaborate upon. I sympathize with the love of history, as I mentioned in the opening post. Is there any particular period of history that you like to read about the most, or are you constantly discovering new eras to enjoy?

I have a mixed relationship with contemporary literature myself, but I think I would go back to it if it were good enough. I've mentioned To Kill a Mockingbird before, which I think is extraordinarily rereadable. Based on that title alone, it would have to be something that stands the test of time, a piece of such singular significance that it would be an experience worth living again. Is there any particular contemporary piece that you would read more than once enjoyably?

Raven

School and other occurrences have kept me from responding for some time, but here goes.

As for a period of history, I'm highly interested in the places connected to the North Sea from the period of the withdraw of the Roman Empire in Britannia to the Battle of Hastings -- so 4th to 11th century. However, I have studied some 18th century American history and I have a growing interest in the history of Asia, which has so far involved reading about the Mongolian people, but is likely to expand to China, Korea, and Japan. I also like maritime history. I went through a period a short while ago where I was reading sailing stories, both non-fiction and fiction, but not contemporary in either case. Probably in a few more years, I may have developed interest in other eras or topics or left some behind. I don't try to hold myself down.

As far as modern and contemporary literature, I mostly read non-fiction or fiction that has historical ties (this apart from fantasy). So, Sebald's Rings of Saturn is an example of a book I really liked, a sort of history-focused travelogue of the British countryside. It had a strong effect on my own imagination and writing for some time, still ongoing. I would read it again. I don't actually read books repeatedly very often. What ones I do tend not to be modern. I enjoy some modern poetry, but hardly read any anymore. When I was an English major -- what seems like a long time ago -- I had to read a lot of various kinds of literature. After that degree and two masters I was burnt out on reading for a while. Now I'm reading more scientific materials for school and I'm enjoying my own pleasure reading on the side. I'm just going somewhat slowly.

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

I got to consider myself interested in Asian history as well; I won't limit it to a single country. Other historical subjects I fancy checking out are:

-the Mesopotamian/Israeli/Arabic regions (due to my Bible reading)
-the Greek and Roman Empires
-the Celts and Vikings
-England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Russia
-the development of philosophy and science
-the American Revolution, the Civil War, and the "Wild West"
-Native Americans and their cultures, across all the Americas

I'd also like to read some nautical fiction and nonfiction (I have C. S. Forester and Patrick O'Brien in mind). I don't want to be held down either.

As I've mentioned before, I would read and reread contemporary fiction if it was really good. It goes for any book on any subject, whether fiction or nonfiction. It may be partly due to the many books I have, but I don't really reread much either, even in my beloved fantasy, though it's not that I don't want to - there are a few books that are well worth picking up again. I guess I'm just focusing on getting through them once right now. I'm sorry to say that I don't have much poetry, nor do I read it much, although I am interested in its development, history, and greatest practitioners. I have Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, the works of Emily Dickinson (not sure if it's all of it, though), and the complete poetry and prose of William Blake. I have a lot more in mind, even contemporary, though I'm more interested in classic poetry up to the late twentieth century.

Raven

You have a tendency to plan reading and make lists that I don't possess, myself. I wander into the used bookstore, maybe to get a particular book, maybe to meander. I walk to the fantasy section and maybe look to see if books by a couple authors are in, but if they're not the first in the series I pass, and no biggie. I don't want to start in the middle and it's not urgent. Then I go to various other sections, half heartedly turning my head sideways to read titles, a little overwhelmed by all the books but there's not much riding on it. I don't catch half the titles and I'm not too adventurous to start books or authors I haven't heard of, and even if I've heard of them it has to strike me in the right way at the right time. I may end up with something unexpected, nothing, or find something in the vein I was looking for. Either way, it's just about being interested and enjoying it for me. If I feel pressured I don't have as much enjoyment and am less likely to read. I don't enjoy "should" reads so much. And there's plenty to do if I don't find anything at that moment. I generally have something to read these days, though, at least to pick at, anyway, whether new to me or an old realiable.
That's just how I'm operating right now.

Coír Draoi Ceítien

If you'd like, I'll share some of these lists with you. I know they kind of count as "should reads," but maybe they'll be some inspiration for you. Sure, the blog sort of functions in a similar manner, but I think you might like some of the amateur/professional compilations that I've collected over time. They really help in getting to know people and steering you in the right direction, although sometimes the print status (meaning some of these being out-of-print and maybe hard to find) is quite frustrating; however, I tend to be picky about the condition of my books, so it may just be me.

I'm much the same way - I tend to look for only those authors that I know about in some manner. I see a lot of books being sold that I just don't really care about because of name brand recognition; it's sort of sad, because a lot of really good writers must go unappreciated in that manner, and I can see myself getting lumped in with that crowd if I were a writer.

I would also recommend checking out awards. If a book has earned some pretty prestigious awards, I'm usually more inclined to check it out. In the case of fantasy, I would really recommend the World Fantasy Awards, the Mythopoeic Awards, and the Hugo Awards (although the latter also covers science fiction).

Raven

Your mention of awards brought something back to my memory. Some of my longstanding interests are the history and cultures and goings-on of Michigan and the Great Lakes, and also the same in reference to the whole Upper Midwest and Canada. Basically, that region known as "The Old Northwest Territory" and its environs. I've done a lot of reading and research on these topics over the years. Well, there is an awards list, "The Michigan Notable Book Awards," that I have mined a lot for good reading material. It introduced me to some enjoyable writing that I might not have gotten the chance to read if not for the list. Such curation is important.
I might inquire about some more of your lists after nursing school. For the time being, my reading is limited. I'm still inching through the latest Game of Thrones book. It's better than the previous one but slow going due to time constraints.

If you like doing other lists and have some on hand -- I don't see why you should keep the blog to just fantasy stuff. Why not do other kinds of lit, too, if you already have been doing the work?