Main Menu

When Is Fantasy Dangerous?

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, March 31, 2017, 01:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

A recent discussion on an untranslated Japanese book series has got me thinking. It's something that I'm seriously invested in, but it raises questions.

When does fantasy cross over into dangerous territory? When does it go from fun escapism into morally questionable ideology?

Try the occult, for instance - a very sticky topic that carries quite a bit of baggage. Under ordinary circumstances, anything would seem like fair game, but when you start working in real life dark spiritual practices, things may start to blur. Spiritually ambivalent practices - or even downright Satanic practices - may end up strangling whatever is trying to be told in the mire of bad religion, at the least, or introducing an impressionable audience to darker paths, at the worst.

When should darker material be portrayed and, for that matter, how should it be shown? Does the fun stop being fun when you start dabbling in the real world? How do you recognize what should be avoided and what can be accepted? What are the limitations and how far can they - or should they - be pushed?
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.

Raven

Well, here're a few thoughts on the topic.

I'm a Christian so my discussion of this will be from my perspective as a Christian.
Ultimately, I believe we as Christians have freedom, but as the scripture says, not everything is profitable. I think we have to ask ourselves, "is what I am doing (or reading) profitable to me?" This questions applies to all facets of our lives -- is it helping me emotionally, socially, psychologically, physically, and spiritually?

For example, is reading a work that glorifies the occult or deals in occult things influencing me towards occult participation, ways of thinking, etc.

Is reading something with graphic sexuality harming my own endeavor to live in sexual purity (is it inflaming lust?)

These are the types of questions that need to be asked. What is permissible is not always beneficial.
Why are we reading what we're reading in the first place? If it is simply for entertainment, why dabble in things that are questionable?

Harry Potter. There is an example of a fantasy book that was and is controversial among Christians. Personally, it is so far from real life that I really did not see it as an issue from a spiritual perspective. It takes place in a clear alternate reality. It is also not a graphic book. I enjoyed the series very much. I was not afraid that I might be influenced into exploring witchcraft.
That said, I do not doubt that some people, un-grounded spiritually, have indeed been influenced to explore witchcraft with Harry Potter as an inspiration. What should I feel about that? There is a real life witchcraft, but it is very different than Harry Potter, I believe. I do not deny there is a danger in making witchcraft seem nice and cute to people, as Harry Potter often presents it.  In the same way, there is a danger in glorifying and depicting violence.

We each have to come to a point where we make mature decisions about what is not only permissible but beneficial to our lives.
I never feared that Harry Potter was going to get me into witchcraft. I'm a follower of Jesus.
I'm also not running around dressing up like a wizard and pretending to cast spells.

When is fantasy dangerous? When it influences us towards evil and hinders our efforts to follow and imitate Christ, to live in purity, to progress in sanctification by the power Holy Spirit.

Is there a hard fast rule, a line in the sand, something clear to make our decisions easy? That would be nice. It would also not really require knowing and walking with Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit. We could follow the law, the legal rule, and not worry about listening to the Spirit in our lives. But what God wants, I believe, is for us to grow into maturity and walk in relationship to Him, so that we can listen to His voice about what we should and shouldn't do. It might not be the same for me and you.

For example, I recently gave up video game making and playing (privately) yet again. I have addiction trouble related to anything video-game. It is harmful to me emotionally and to my family life. It is not beneficial to me. Is the act of playing a video game against some scriptural law? Of course not. But I have to mature in what is right for me and my family.

When is fantasy dangerous? When it harms you. When it is not beneficial to you. Ultimately, when God tells you to steer clear of it. In order to hear His voice, we need to learn to listen to Him, abide in Him, and walk with Him. It is possible. It is good. It is worth it.

Now, Coir, you are down on yourself a lot. Don't toss in the towel, saying you're not able or not good enough. It's a journey. Every journey starts at the beginning.

I thought I saw a unicorn on the way here, but it was just a horse with one of the horns broken off.