Main Menu

Epic Pooh - by Michael Moorcock

Started by Coír Draoi Ceítien, August 17, 2017, 06:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coír Draoi Ceítien

Of course, not everyone has such a sparkling appreciation of Tolkien and his ideas. Enter Michael Moorcock, prolific and renown sci-fi/fantasy writer and political/philosophical pragmatic anarchist. One of the chief figures of the "New Wave" of science fiction, he's the creator of an entire multiverse surrounding a concept termed "The Eternal Champion", in which, across numerous realities, a Hero arises to preserve the balance between Law and Chaos, and you  can bet that he will eventually get an entry on the Masters of Fantasy blog (when I get to it....). He has some strong opinions about Tolkien's brand of fantasy, and in the spirit of discussion, in contrast to Tolkien's own "On Fairy-Stories", I give you his lengthy essay/critique of high fantasy, "Epic Pooh."

I present this in good nature, without condoning or condemning it; I leave you to formulate your own opinions. Personally, I find it to be rather healthy to seek out dissenting opinions, so maybe this will sharpen your own judgment positively. One can only hope.

NOTE: Click on the "Continued..." at the bottom of the page to proceed to the next page.

http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.php?id=953
The wind blows, for good or ill, and I must follow.